Mechanical Architect – Boston, Denver, or Salt Lake City
*Applicant will work from one of these locations*
Aeryon Labs is the global leader in high performance small unmanned aerial systems (sUAS) that set the standard for technical innovation, reliability, and performance. Our teams are passionate about solving problems, which help our customers do difficult and (often) dangerous tasks – safely and efficiently. We are equally passionate about the people who make this happen. Our team. We offer careers that allow you to exceed your potential and collaborate with some of the most creative minds in the industry.
About the Position
The Mechanical Architect role is for someone that is seasoned, takes pride in everything they do, leads by example and provides the team with valuable product development and systems design experience. You are passionate about solving problems in new and unexpected creative ways. You thrive on difficult challenges, often doing the impossible by finding a way to make it happen. You want to be in an environment where continuous learning is not only encouraged – but also expected.
As a Mechanical Architect, you provide technical design input and guidance to team members across all mechanical deliverables. You have a body of mechanical and UAV product development experience which can be leveraged across the entire team, ensuring new solutions are built on learnings and insights from previous solutions. You will be engaged at the early concept stage of solutions, heavily focused on proof of concepts and prototypes, exploring possible solutions which can be developed further into full scale mechanical solutions for global rollout. Your combined creativity and systems design approach to designing solutions make you uniquely positioned to solve complex real world UAV challenges.
What You’ll Do
- Architect new airframe designs with other cross functional system architects.
- Component design and integration into existing airframes.
- Payload design and optimization to meet customer requirements and quality levels.
What You Bring
- BASc Mechanical Engineering/Mechanical Engineering Technologist, or higher.
- Solid understanding of DOE, GD&T, SPC, FAI and CPK techniques.
- Experience in Design for Manufacturability (DFM), and Design for Assembly (DFA), statistical tolerance analysis techniques, functional dimensioning, geometric tolerancing and 2D drawings.
- Experience designing complex VTOL UAV mechanical solutions.
- Highly creative ability to devise multiple options and solutions to seemingly difficult, complex challenges.
- Experience anticipating potential design, manufacturable, field quality issues with proposed solutions as they emerge.
- Experience providing design decisions regarding material selection, risks, challenges, costs and implications.
- Demonstrated experience with thin walled plastics injection molding/tooling, sheet metal, CNC machined, and composite parts.
- Experience with lightweight materials and structural designs to design key components and structures for our current generation payload requirements.
- Experience with Finite Element Analysis (FEA) to design products for durability, performance and manufacturing quality.
- Deliver market leading designs that are built for volume, quality, manufacturing or outsourcing.
Aeryon Labs Inc. is an equal opportunity employer that does not unlawfully discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, religion, gender identity, gender expression, creed, sex, sexual orientation, age, record of offences, marital status, family status or disability.
Aeryon is committed to a fair and inclusive work environment. We will endeavor to accommodate the needs of qualified applicants in all parts of the hiring process.
If you require special accommodation to complete any portion of the application or interview process please email email@example.com or call (519) 489-6726.